Saturday, June 9, 2007

Serenity in a bottle

I just had a really long day. I drove back from a two day stint at my parents house, with the kids and no husband, we had late dinner, no naps and scant attempts at meals all day today, couple that with a marathon swim session earlier today (courtesy of my die hard mom) and you get two tired kids and a wiped out mom.

BUT I am sitting here right now smelling my hands in a kind of tranquil serenity of contenedness. Why? You ask.

Oh, because I gave the kids baths before bed. Didn't matter how late it was tonight because church is in the morning and so Saturday night is the one night (honestly sometimes the ONLY) night of the week that bathtime is guarenteed...( I really am a good mom, don't call protective services). And it is completley amazing to me how even after the craziest days, when all I want is to get the kids in to bed and relax, if I give them a bath... I end up sitting around after they're tucked in, sweetly thinking about how precious they are and even sometimes in a moment of sheer insanity... maybe I could just sneak in a cuddle with them a little longer.

The adorably drenched, tiny naked bodies and playful splashing giggles help set the mood, but really... it is the scent left on my hands that sends me into this swirling state of bliss. They really should make a car air freshener with this baby shampoo scent... it would put an immediate end to road rage I swear. Cuz I know other moms agree, I've heard countless ones gushing the same words as me, it's seriously universal.

So even though it's unoriginal, I can't help it, I just love it and I have to share. The way my heart actually reacts to the smell with a tiny little surge of love, it's kinda like a drug the way it can literally alter your state of mind. And hey, it's not like just cuz thousands of people get epidurals women stop gushing about how great modern medicine is as soon as THAT form of sweet serenity kicks in.

So there ya go... baby shampoo is like an epidural.... without the gigantic needle that has to be stuck directly into your spine.

2 comments:

lorieloo said...

I can't wait for that. (Not the needle, the bottle of bliss) I loved seeing you this weekend! Wish it was longer. 3 more weeks...

We are the Ganyos.... said...

Just so you know, I might go a whole month without bathing my kids. Honestly. Actually, the pediartician recommended it for their eczema but even if he hadn't I dont think I would get around to it that often! When you have two so young and unable to do much themselves at bathtime, once a week is a great accomplishment.